School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Vienna Elementary School
John Carmichael, Principal
End of Year SMARTR Outcome
By the end of the 2018-2019 school year, all K -6 students will make measurable progress in the area of reading. Using the FCPS benchmarks and the Vienna Reading Level Continuum: A Year’s Progress chart, students will reach or exceed the grade level spring benchmark. Students will also be measured and demonstrate a minimum of a year’s growth in reading from their individual fall benchmark level.
Teachers will provide specific interventions and enrichment for individual students as needed to meet and support their progress in reading.
- Teachers and administrators will discuss student reading progress in CLT meetings weekly. Data will be recorded using team planning and the Universal Screener.
- Teachers will continue with detailed intervention documentation for student progress that captures a long-term view of progress over time.
- Teachers will consult and access additional strategies and resources to provide rigor and promote increased reading stamina at all levels.
Vienna Elementary School will continue to provide targeted supports from instructional personnel for a double dose of reading instruction as needed for specific students. We will focus on the driver of Academic Support in strengthening our understanding/use of the Responsive Instruction model as we provide targeted intervention support for specific students.
- Teachers will continue to provide guided reading and writing instruction with leveled texts utilizing the tenets of the Daily 5 in their language arts block.
- Tier 2 and 3 interventions such as conducting LLI groups (Leveled Literacy Intervention), EIRI groups (Early Intervention for Reading Instruction), RR (Reading Recovery), and AAP (Advanced Academic Program pull-out and push-in) for specific students will continue.
- All staff will invoke Responsive Instruction techniques to support strengthening our use of a common language and process for Responsive Instruction school-wide. Additionally, a staff team will focus on student executive functioning skills and supports for all students. (Driver: Academic Support—for Closing the Achievement Gap site).
For additional information regarding this School Improvement Plan, please contact the school principal.